The Peru Central School District is offering the opportunity for parents with children in grades PreK-12 who have a school-issued device assigned to them, the option of enrolling in a Device Protection Plan (DPP).
Enrollment in the DPP will minimize the potential repair and/or replacement costs that could result from damage to your child’s assigned device. The DPP is not required, but parents are strongly encouraged to consider purchasing the DPP. The purchase of the DPP will protect you from costs associated with accidental damage and theft. Coverage under the DPP begins when payment is received and covers your child’s device for one school year ending on June 30th.
What does the protection plan cost?
The Device Protection Plan is available for students and parents to cover device replacement in the event of theft, loss, or accidental damage by fire. The protection cost is $20.00 annually for each student with a maximum cost of $40.00 per family.
Annual protection will cover all devices from the purchase date of the plan through June 30th.
What is covered under the plan?
The DPP covers one repair of non-intentional damage per school year ending June 30th. This includes cracked screens or cases, replacement keyboard and/or trackpads, and other hardware issues such as video cables and broken ports.
A 2nd repair of non-intentional damage during the enrollment period will incur a flat $10 service fee covering all parts and service.
Any subsequent repairs that take place beyond the 1st or 2nd repair will need to be paid in full before the device is returned. (this includes the full cost of parts used)
Any items that are deemed warranty repairs are covered as well by our technology department as long as the student has the device.
What is not covered under the plan?
- Any carryover damage from a previous school year without DPP coverage.
- Intentional damage to the Chromebook is NOT covered under the plan and will require payment for parts at full price.
- Damage caused by another student. This damage must be reported immediately to a teacher, building principal, or assistant principal.
- Negligent damage, damage to a device which occurs while the device is removed from its protective case, and damage caused by improper use is NOT covered. This includes students attempting to disassemble the device or alter its internal structure. Please note that the final determination of whether the damage is deemed intentional or negligent will be decided by the technology department and administrative team.
- Damaged or missing power adapters/cords are NOT covered. Replacement power adapters can be purchased through the vendor links provided by the district. Students are responsible for the full replacement cost.
- Lost or misplaced Chromebooks and damage beyond normal wear and tear to the protective case is NOT covered under the DPP and will result in billing for the replacement item(s).
**Negligence or misuse will be determined through an investigation by a District Administrator and a member of the PeruCSD Technology Team.
What if my child’s issued device gets stolen?
If the device is stolen while on school property, including buses, the theft must be reported by the student to their building’s main office as soon as possible.
If the device is stolen outside of school, the parent/guardian must file a police report within one week. A copy of the report must be turned in to the main office. Upon receipt of this report, a replacement device will be issued. If a DPP is not in effect, the parent/guardian will be responsible for the replacement cost of the device.
What is the process for repair or replacement for a damaged device?
Students and Parents have the ability to enter a Technology Support Ticket. Once this ticket has been entered, the device will need to be returned to the District. Devices can be returned to classroom teachers or the Building Office. If a ticket has not been generated by a student or parent, it will be done at this time. Based on the situation around breakage and DPP Coverage, a member of the technology team will determine if a loaner device will be issued while the repair is taking place. If any fees need to be collected, this will be done before the repaired device is returned to the student. Repair time will vary based on the breakage, availability of hardware, and the student help desk.
How do I enroll in the Device Protection Plan?
We are encouraging our families to enroll online through the My School Bucks platform. If you are unable to enroll or make payment online, please contact Jessica Favaro via email at email@example.com or by phone at 518-643-6021.
What if I choose not to enroll in the DPP?
Parents who choose not to purchase the Device Protection Plan are responsible for 100% of all repair costs for the device if it is damaged.
The following chart estimates costs for common repairs, exact costs for each incident will be made upon further inspection of the damaged device, and the availability of parts.
|Total Unit Replacement: (Chromebook, power adapter, and case)||$325|
|Damaged Parts replacement costs without DPP|
|iPad Protective Case||$50|
|Chromebook Case (Fabric)||$30|
|AC adapter & power cord||$22|
|Shell (Top and Bottom Cover and Bezel)||$60|
|Hinge (set of 2)||$30|
If a student’s device becomes damaged, loaner devices may be available at the Instructional Technology Department’s discretion. For devices or damages that are not covered under the Device Protection Plan, each incident will incur a separate charge. If not enrolled in the DPP, the assigned device will be returned to the student once repair fees for damage have been paid. If you have questions about the DPP, please contact Nicholas Damiani – Instructional Technology Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Steps for Purchasing:
Pay for items such as Device Protection Plan through your MySchoolBucks.com account:
- Log in to MySchoolBucks.com or create a free account.
- Click School Store at the top of the page and select Browse All Items
- Choose the Store Item and add it to your cart (If more than one child in the District, you will need to add each one separately to your cart before checking out)
- Check out!